Two things inspired this post – the health-kick that everyone, including myself, has been on since a particularly indulgent end of 2016 (it was a terrible year so it needed to go out in a fit of gluttony). The other reason is that I have this batch of sumac that I just can’t stop using.
I’ve moved to a new floor of the office where the sugar-free diet seems to reign supreme (not over me, not ever). The canteen has low-fat snacks, laden with sugar, so I decided to help the girls out and made a batch of this fiery popcorn to ease their dieting woes.
It takes less than 5 mins and has no real measurements… these are gauged by the size of your pan
Music to listen to while preparing this dish: ‘Shame, Shame, Shame’ by Shirley & Company
- Vegetable oil (no olive oil – you need heat for this)
- Popping corn
- Optional lemon zest
- Put your pan on a high heat and cover the bottom with a thin veneer of oil. (Pictures below)
- Sprinkle with sumac powder – again enough to create a fine layer over the corn. you should add your lemon zest here if you have it.
- Place enough popcorn to cover the pan in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Pop the lid on and shake the pan continuously.
- Once the corn starts popping, keep the pan shaking as this stops the corn burning. Once the popping subsides, (eg there’s a good five seconds silence) remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl,
- Sprinkle with a tiny bit more sumac and season with salt.
Serve with the lowest-sugar drink of all… a vodka martini
A little bit of oil, just enough corn and the right amount of sumac